Danascott Ride Complex

Monday, July 21, 2008

The 'spending more'

So, yeah. I went up one bump in tier. My rationalization was this (and I totally offer this as potentially useful information about the Average Second Life user, for the purposes of the Linden Lab marketing department):

I like building things in SL. I also have liked those instances in which I've logged in to see my L$ balance has jumped up, by the price of a parcel I've sold.

Those instances, so far, were about closing out of the first sim I'd bought into (two 512m parcels) and selling a parcel in my New Home Sim that I'd bought at auction. The first of the three represented a loss, as I deliberately sold below the L$/m I'd bought at, to avoid a tier bump up. The second and third represented modest profits on what I'd paid---if one does not figure in the tier or the monthly membership.

Now, to repeat the fun of seeing the L$ increase when I log on, and NOT be at a net loss each month due to tier and membership fees, I would have to buy extremely cheap. And, presumably, sell for a bit more per square meter. Even a couple of Linden dollars extra per square meter could result in a month in the black, if I'm dealing in a large enough number of square meters.

Thus, the move from a quarter sim to a half-sim of holdings. (Because the cheapest land to be had is in the 8000m range.)

So I have almost exactly a month to see how this experiment works out. I bought one of the two ~8000m parcels two days before my tier fee is due---a large chunk of money to pay for just two days, but I had felt that the parcel was worth it, in potential to return enough more than I paid for it.

If things don't move at the relatively modest prices I've set---and all pieces are as attractive as I can make them, in terms of parcel division, terraforming, and a bit of landscaping---then I can get out. Probably not at a loss, IF my time is considered to have no value. And since this is my chosen recreation--since I genuinely enjoy the terraforming etc.--then, yes, it's reasonable to consider my time as having no value.

......................................Thus ran my rationalizations and various and sundry calculations.

..............................................................(((a potential goldmine for smart marketers.......)))

No comments: