Danascott Ride Complex

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Nice to be of help...

I got an IM from someone who'd seen the two ~20 meter-across "cylinders" I'd placed across the pond I'm working on. (I ended up replacing them with box prims, because I wanted the scripted water movement to mirror the movement of the 'real' water in the bottom of the little canyon I'm making into a pond---and the ~20m 'cylinders' can only be scripted to have circular water movement [I'm pretty sure.])

So anyway, I was happy to be able to send along the fairly-simple instructions, which I'd gotten from Aimee Weber (et al)'s excellent book "Creating Your World". (Published in 2008 by Wiley, as part of the Official Second Life book series.)

As I said to the person:

The way to do it is to rez a Tube and make it 10m on all sides. Then set Y-Hole Size to 0.05. Then make Begin Twist (B) 90, and End Twist (E) 90. Your result should be almost 20m in diameter...kind of cheating, but it's a good way to save on prims. Hope this helps! Ponsonby

I liked that. Part of my newly-discovered (and surprising, considering my background) passion for Making Stuff, is that I enjoy the idea (and actuality!) of making stuff that others might find useful. Of course this wasn't something I'd discovered on my own. And I do hope, through experimentation, to find things that might be new enough to be helpful to a lot of people.

But, just passing along knowledge that others have discovered is also fun and good and something I want to continue doing. Not because I'm all that altruistic a person...it's self-interest, really, in the sense that it makes me feel happy. And that is a very, very selfish motivation.

(which seems, in general, to work for us humans pretty well.....)

No comments: