Danascott Ride Complex

Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Auction

The auction for the parcel in 'my' sim, yesterday, was more exciting than I intended it to be.

While debating whether or not to buy the expensive ~2000m next door (the L$22/m^2 waterfront one), I decided that if I was able to win the auction for the inland parcel for a good price---since that parcel, alone, would bump me up to the next tier level---I'd go ahead with the more land/more tier.

It took me quite a while to think through all the numbers and to decide; I watched a lot of earlier auctions, spent time with the inworld Search land-sales list, and drew up some alternate plans.

By the time I came back to the computer, having decided to make a bid, it was twenty minutes before the auction was to take place. And.....I couldn't re-establish Internet access. AAIIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!

I tried a bunch of things; finally getting access back after shutting down the computer entirely, then powering up again.

By this time, it was FIVE minutes before the auction---and I still had to log in twice. (Maybe there's some way around this that's known to the auction-experienced. But I had to log into my Account, then log in a second time to make a bid.)

What with some loads that seemed glacial (but probably weren't, really) and some fumbling from nervousness, I finally registered my bid ONE minute before the auction was to close.

There had been two bids---one, at least, made a couple of days earlier. The second had been there a few hours, I think.

So this VERY last minute bid must have looked like a Tactic to those people. It wasn't really....it was just an Internet access problem.

Anyway, I did win the auction. I doubt that of the....what, always 38?.....properties up for bid, this one would have been of much interest to people not already in the sim. It's one parcel away from a Linden Road, true---but who knows how meaningful that will ever be? (As far as I can see, now, the main advantage is that the Road is handy for trying out the free vehicles I seem to keep acquiring.....)

So that is the saga. I hope I didn't seriously inconvenience the other bidders, but I guess if the parcel had been vitally important to them, they would have been certain to have a high bid on record. One would think.

(Back to terraforming!)

No comments: