Danascott Ride Complex

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Back Again, with Heavy Inventory

Actually, I don't know how heavy it is. I haven't looked at it in days.

I'd made sure to get it below 6,000 items (barely) before first going into the SL5B sims. In my first days in them, I thought I'd offload stuff each night. But it soon became clear that I was going to want a lot more time in the sims than I could get, what with my 60-to-90 minutes per day limitation. And taking a solid 15 to 20 out of that, each night, to offload stuff didn't make sense to me.

(Similarly, I chose not to blog the last few nights. I wanted the time inworld.)

So I'm wondering what I'll find in that Inventory, when I log on in a few minutes.

My guess: at least 7,000 (we'll see!)

Most of it is notecards---I wanted information, but didn't want to stop to read it. I figured as I read over the cards, later, I'd remember the places I'd gotten them. If I don't, that would be a sign that the installations weren't that memorable!

I'll be aided by the 30 or so snapshots I took (again, a rough estimate). I plan to make a little photo gallery on my land.

I had been 'sleeping' on the SL5B sims, for the past 8 days or so...Quitting while there. I kind of wondered what would happen if I remained there right up until midnight, Linden time.....but I was nervous of creating glitches for myself, so I teleported Home before that point (and went to bed, as that's 3am, my time). I will read around to see if anyone talks about that....

One thing that interested me was being able to see the Orientation and Help Islands from the SL5B easternmost sims, on the World Map. It wasn't possible to look at them closely (I guess, roughly 1-inch-square overviews of each sim-sized one was as close as a person could get). It was fascinating, though, to see how the programs shunt people to one until it's considered full.

(As I may have mentioned, I never did get to a "real" Help Island---just to the Public Help Island, later. If I do end up paying the ten bucks to make an alt account, I will enjoy the Orientation and Help all the more, for having seen the aerial view of the sims.)

Well, I could blather on longer, but I'm anxious to get Home and start unpacking all my free stuff! I'll just say: the experience was wonderful for me. I would imagine the experience was different for people who get to spend longer in Second Life each session---maybe they tired of the SL5B sims and spelled themselves by going home. I admit to missing Building stuff TERRIBLY (something I'm looking forward to, tonight, at least as much as the unpacking of the free stuff.) But overall, the 10-days (for me) experience was mind-expanding. And that's never bad.

No comments: