Danascott Ride Complex

Saturday, July 12, 2008

More for Lindens!

Here I've missed my Midnight deadline for blogging--so even though I'm blogging once each period-between-sleeps (otherwise known as a 'day'), it looks like I missed one. A cardinal sin in Blogging!

Anyway.......I ended up giving the Lindens more money.

On coming back to my home sim after the end of SL5B, I'd noticed that a 1024 in my sim was up for auction. More earth-shatteringly, the neighbor to the east (with a Road-reduced parcel around 2000 square meters) had put his/her property up for sale.

Now, all the finagling with the owner of that split-1616 (presumably a 2048 with the Road taking up the missing square meters) was in aid of staying at the $40 tier. Heck, even moving up from $25 to $40 had taken a lot of soul-searching.

But here was this nice parcel---a bit overpriced, at around L$22/m^2, even if it does have 32m of waterfront.

And if someone ELSE wanting to start a Club took it, my peaceful life would be even less possible....(there are already two Impressario-Hopefuls onthe sim).

Of course the only way to ensure against that is to buy a full sim. But since being on at least some water---real water, not plywood---is clearly important enough to me that I'll give up many Real World expenditures to get it----and furthermore, since paying out US$2000+ would NOT be smart at this time----then, spending another US$250 to get to beach parcel, plus some other cheaper ones to make the tier sensible, was something I could talk myself into.

I get the "US$2000" figure from that fact that in several full-sim auctions I watched last month the waterfront sims were going for US$1800 or more---and of course you are hit with the additional $195 tier fee, no matter how quickly you carve up and sell bits of the sim. I suppose if the Lindens bring so many new sims online that waterfront ones end up selling for US$200, I'll feel I've been foolish. But on the other hand, even if that does happen, I'll have had all the enjoyment of my little 14,000m, NOW.

(If you're going to pay a certain level of tier, it makes more sense to have property just shy of the point at which you'd jump to the next tier. This is assuming a long-term tenure in Second Life, of course, so that the cost of buying the land is amortized over that period. Might as well get that prim-capacity, since that's essentially what we're paying for when we pay tier.)

Anyway....lots of rationalizing, here. But I WILL enjoy the new land--I do love the terraforming!

No comments: