Danascott Ride Complex

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Landing Spots

Going around to all these Auction sites, I notice that though the place you Teleport to when you enter the name of a sim into the World Map is usually the center of the sim, it isn't always. About a quarter of the time, I land off-center----in a shop.

And when that happens, I look at the area where the center of the sim is, to see if there are (say) Ban Lines that would prevent people from landing there. So far, I haven't seen any.

So...................................................do the people with these shops that Search (through the World Map) sends you directly to, PAY Linden Labs some fee for this service??


....This may be one of those things known, without needing to be mentioned, by long-timers in Second Life. But to me, it still seems rather mysterious.

(I might mention that one of the sims I Teleported to today, due to an Auction to be held there tomorrow, sent me into a dug-out area under a 'physical' floor---------so that I was trapped. I've been around long enough [less than 3 months, but long enough] to know I could pull up the World Map and click on another place in the same sim and Teleport there.

(But a newbie wouldn't know that. You have to wonder how many people have encountered such things and left Second Life in disgust....)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's "pay a fee" (to get an off-center-of-sim system-teleport), that would be one thing. If it's "friends of LL people", that would be icky.

Anonymous said...

I've learned to just pick a spot in the sim (or in an adjacent one) and teleport there. That way, you might get into a build by chance--but not into a 'planned avatar trap' (not that there could be many of those. it's just the annoyance of knowing that there are a few people who count on avatars being trapped in their shop!)