Danascott Ride Complex

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

eight hundred seventy

...That's how much stuff I picked up in SL5B. About.

When I logged in last night, I had 6,867 items; I'm not sure of the exact number I had when I stepped on SL5B sims for the first time, but "870" seems about right.

I made 10 nice storage prims for the stuff, last night--the "Egyption pillar", with a texture from a Snapshot I took of my favorite place of all I saw in SL5B: the Grafix Writer 'building'.

I discovered this place only the day before the end of the exhibit. I felt genuine grief over this, as, if I'd known about it earlier, I'd certainly have visited every day. Many of the 30+ Snapshots that I paid L$10 apiece to download, were taken there.

On my list of tasks: to find out if there's a more permanent installation by that artist (or group of artists?) inworld. Interestingly, this installation was one of the very few in SL5B for which there was no Notecard Dispensor, or any information, really.

Not that I'm faulting people for wanting to generate business for themselves, or (if one wanted to be generous) for wanting to inform visitors of their main Second Life places of business.

But I'd say the lack of commercial pressure fits amazingly well with the degree of artistry in that installation.

Anyway..........all I accomplished in my 90 minutes last night, other than making 10 varied pillars based on the texture (and of course I can't sell them, or use the texture in any commercial way---and if the artist(s) wanted the pillars destroyed, of course I would comply....but for now, I'm enjoying the reminder they represent)...where was I? Oh yes: all I accomplished other than to make the pillars and offload 95 of the new items into them, was to make three 'canvases' for three of my SL5B Snapshots. Then something weird happened to either my Internet connection, or Second Life, and my blank canvases turned "You cannot Modify this", and I had trouble even moving them. The Lag Meter had red dots, so I logged off.

I do hope that the sailing will be smooth when I return tonight; I have a lot to get done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's me, Ponsonby, but my comment is: I recently switched to a security suite that places Green or Red or Question Mark icons next to search results, to let the user decide whether it's safe to click on the link.

It IS safe to click on the link to this blog!!! (I'm no techie, but this IS a mainstream blog site, so....)