Danascott Ride Complex

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I Haven't Been Home in Three Days!

Home in Second Life, that is.

I feel a certain urgency to see as much as I can in the SL5B sims. And since, most days of the week, I have only an hour, or an hour and a half, in which I can enjoy SL----I've been Quitting while on one of the sims. (I usually try to find what looks like it might be a quiet corner...and not right in the middle of what might be a venue for Events.)

So this will probably be true tonight, as well. Though I'm curious to see what might have changed at 'home' during my absence. When you buy in a newer sim, you never know what the heck might show up!

One thing that I'm not at peace about: the question of ignoring people. I would never ignore someone who spoke to me. (Or more properly: who Local Chatted to me. I still haven't taken the time to activate the Voice modality; I figure I probably have to buy and install a microphone in order to take advantage of that, and I haven't gotten around to it. Though, from some of my reading on the SL site, it's recommended to activate Voice even if you don't have a mic, because then you can listen to speeches and such.)

Anyway, I wouldn't ignore someone who contacted me. BUT......and many will have had this experience on the 20 SL5B sims.....at some hours (when I tend to be on, for instance), they are pretty sparsely populated. So when someone's avatar is within a few meters, you sort of feel that they should be acknowledged in some way.

But here's my deal: I'm not really the Go Up To Strangers And Start Conversations type of person at any time. I HAVE done it, I CAN do it, but it's not my natural bent.

And on these SL5B sims.....I'm very conscious that the whole thing will cease to exist in a few days. (4, at this point, I think.)

So I'm more oriented toward seeing as much as I can than toward getting to know people.

So I don't approach these avatars.

I'm probably fairly safe in assuming that they've reasoned things out in a similar fashion, and and so are NOT offended that I don't speak to them.

Or so I've decided to believe.

Still, it can feel as though I'm being kind of rude, and I regret that.

Oh, well!

No comments: