Danascott Ride Complex

Monday, July 14, 2008

The Seductions of Selling Land

For various reasons, I've sold three parcels of land in Second Life.

The first time, I priced the parcel somewhat below what I judged to be the market rate--and below what I'd paid. This was because I had a time constraint, and could have been bumped up to the next higher tier (a jump that, in US dollar terms, was more than I'd paid for the land). So the price was right, and (from what I can see) someone new to the sim bought it.

The second and third times, the price was at least at market, and (just) slightly above what I'd paid. In both cases, I had at least a fair idea that someone in the sim would want the land and wouldn't require a below-market price (as I'd employed in that first sale) to buy.

In retrospect, all three pieces sold so quickly, that I probably should have asked a bit more for each.

But even so: in each case, logging in and seeing that my Lindens balance had jumped up was TOO much fun.

I see that this is one way that people get sucked into to the Land Speculator biz. Or more properly, the Land Speculator hobby. Because there are fewer guarantees than even in RL, that you will come out on the positive side of the balance sheet.

But entering into this, er, hobby, is particularly seductive for me, because I enjoy terraforming so much....I could improve the HECK out of whatever I bought, and make it so attractive, that people couldn't RESIST buying it, and so I'd be able to completely cover the ruinously-high tier I'd incur if I bought entire sims, and....




NO. STOP. This way lies......madness......

(the kind of madness to gladden a Linden's heart.......^_^)

No comments: