Danascott Ride Complex

Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Frenzy of Pond-Making

Well, "frenzy" may be over-selling it a bit. But I did make alot of attempts.

The idea is 'fewest prims'. Though from my reading, I also need to think about 'fewest triangles'. For instance, the two-prim Pond with Surrounding Mossy-Covered banks that I made from a cube (mossy banks) and cylinder (pond) might cause problems for computers with less-new (or less-powerful) graphics cards.

It seems that when we twist and turn and path-cut and taper and top-shear prims, we increase the number of triangles needed to draw them. So this puts more of a strain on graphics cards.

But that 2-prim pond-with-surround costs only 2-prims against what might be a modest Prim Budget.

So, no doubt, there's a trade-off that people just have to work with. (And if I put this thing up for sale--it would be the first such item, as I hadn't thought of it, before!...then I'll have to make clear in the Description that the one prim was very tortured in the creation of the pond.)

I also made what's sort of a 10-meter river from two prims. But it doesn't look as good as the pond-and-surround.

So....gotta keep working on them....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a variety of water features in SL.