Danascott Ride Complex

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Responsiveness

I'd given Second Life an email that I haven't used regularly for a while, because at the time I joined, I'd been getting too much spam on the two email accounts I use most often.

And I've been thinking for several weeks 'I'd better check that account'....but I didn't seem to get around to it.

But I should report: on the night I went Premium, and discovered the spending limits meant that I couldn't buy Lindens so that I could buy a small piece of land (though someone going Premium with a pay-by-the-month account COULD buy Lindens)---on that night I'd filed a ticket to say 'this isn't a smart policy'.

Having just complained about the policy in my previous post, it's ironic that it was today that I finally saw that I had, in fact, gotten a prompt reply back from LL.

I'm not entirely happy with the reply, since it sort of implied that I was a crank to care about this. (That's just my interpretation---the email was perfectly courteous.)

But whoever opened my ticket DID change the spending limits for me. And now that I think about it, it wasn't a full 24 hours between the time I went Premium and the time I bought that 512, the next day. So I guess they offered me a few hours' grace.

That wasn't enough to prevent what happened---some smart land trader noticed the amount of traffic (me, not knowing better, I assume) on the parcel that interested me, and bought it, and raised the price. So by the time the Linden in question had relaxed the time limit for buying Lindens, it was too late for me to buy the parcel that interested me at the price I'd found it at (in Search).

It was just a matter of a few dollars, for this 512. I guess it 's the principle of the thing that bothers me.

Am I wrong? Of course LL needs to have a limit on the dollar amount that can be changed into Lindens on Day One of a new Premium account. I don't dispute that. I don't have the criminal imagination necessary to be able to guess all the bad things that people could do if there were no limit, but I accept that such bad things could happen.

But that's not what I'm asking. I'm not asking for 'no limits'.

I'm just asking for those who commit to an Annual payment of their Premium fees, NOT to be treated differently from those who commit only to one month's Premium membership.

I'm saying: let the Premium fee be separate from the first-24-hours-limit. Make that limit US$25, or US$15, or whatever makes sense for fraud prevention.

But don't penalize people who commit to the full year.

(Okay, that is enough on that topic!)

I do want to commend LL for being so quick to respond to my ticket. I know from my reading that customer service has been a sore spot for many...but I can't offer any complaints.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are many customer service stories around. But maybe the changeover in management will mean a new leaf being turned over.