Danascott Ride Complex

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Barstools and Hogwarts Skirts

So I'd wanted to name that place-with-freebies correctly: it's "Aly's Freebie Shop and Rental Office", in Atlit. (That's the one with the walls of many types of freebies, and 'outdoors' in the medieval courtyard, all the pretty fountains and gazobos and the sex beds.)

(And also parenthetically, having been to the two places in one night, the one above and the Free Fandom Project Store with all the Doctor Who stuff, including Dalek avatars, who could refrain from picturing two Daleks on a sex bed? Not I!)

But anyway.

As I was preparing to log into Second Life last night, I saw, in the list of alerts/notices that always appears in the lower left side of the screen, something about instructional videos. Curious if these instructions would include the 'storage prim' knowledge that I'd found so hard to locate, I delayed entering SL (not easy to bring myself to do!) to check it out.

Here's the URL: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Video_Tutorials/Quicktips

These 'Quicktips' are advertised as being 2 minutes or less, and so may tempt even the most eager-to-get-in-world person into a short detour. My 'storage prim' question doesn't seem to be addressed in the list, but many other compelling topics are.

One I watched was "the 1-Prim Barstool Trick". And then, on going in-world, I made one and promptly copied it and started using the 4 barstools as storage prims. Yippee!!

Another thing I wanted to do, lastnight, was to make another outfit for myself that would be black, gray, and sky blue. Perhaps you will think it pretentious that my inspiration for this color scheme was a bar graph in a recent issue of The Economist, but such is the case. I find, in general, that the graphic artists employed by The Economist are quite plugged in to the latest color trends.

So I started looking through my Inventory and found a nice short-sleeved black velvet shirt that came with knee-high textured boots. These I right-clicked on, and chose 'wear'. The buckle-laden pants that also went with the outfit weren't to my taste, so I browsed on through the wealth of Inventoried freebies. The Hogwarts Uniform pieces I'd acquired at the Free Fandom Project Store included a skirt, which I tried and liked. Since it was apparently classified as an attachment 'round the waist, rather than as a skirt, I was able to add a sky blue satin underskirt (through the Appearance window, accessible by right-clicking my avatar) beneath the separate fronds of the Hogwarts skirt. A few modifications to jewelry I'd made in my first days in SL, and I was fairly happy with the outfit.

(If any newbies are reading: when you want to save the total look you have on, including not only clothing but modifications to your avatar's skin, head, body, etc., click the Make Outfit button when you're in Appearance mode. Be sure to check all the open boxes--skin, hair, etc.--except "rename clothing to folder name". Type in a name to help you remember the look [including, perhaps, the date and short description of the outfit.] Then click 'save'.)

So, fingers crossed that the system won't be terribly overloaded on this, the weekend, I will now try to get back in-world.

No comments: