Danascott Ride Complex

Friday, June 13, 2008

The 9-Prim House!

I got so involved with finalizing my 9-prim house, I forgot to blog. (Horrors!)

When I logged on, I was immediately struck by the fact that the unsold parcel to the west had, clearly, been sold. Actually it must have been a purchase of several parcels, as there had been two 512s adjoining mine, and the new installation is larger than the combined 1024.

But....GIANT ROCKS AND A THUNDERSTORM!!!

I quite like it. Of course there's no telling whether or not the owner will leave the giant-rocks-and-thunderstorm up for any length of time. But it's quite distinctive and enjoyable for me to look at (and listen to!), so I'm happy.

(Also, I notice that the person has waves. If we meet, I will ask how those waves were acquired....)

I'd never seen anything like the rocks-and-storm. But that isn't saying much: though one of the things I enjoy most about Second Life is flying around and looking at all the variety of creations, I've been so focused on taking advantage of my vanishing newbie status (I think I'm at about day 40 or so, now) and on acquiring land, that I haven't done much recreational flying.

But I will, eventually.

At the moment I'm most excited about my new house. Made from, as has been mentioned, 9 prims.

It's two stories, connected with a walkable spiral ramp, with a loft-and-ramp in the first story, a partly-fenced rooftop garden area, and balconies on each floor.

All with 9 prims!

Now, the odds are, my creation isn't all that original. What with our limited menu of prims, the limited options for transforming each type of prim, and the obvious motivation we all have to conserve prims.....it seems quite likely that other people have come up with similar buildings.

I will be very interested to check this out, when I have more time. I suppose if I use the inworld Search for 'low prim houses' I might find some examples. (But will anyone have put their building together in the same way I have? I am curious!)

I used brick and white stucco textures (okay, the white stucco isn't actually a 'texture', but instead is the "Stucco" setting on the Bumpiness drop-down menu of the Texture tab of the Edit window). I like the look, and it makes the blues and greens I'm using for the furnishings really pop.

I do have some freebie chairs in there, as the only chairs I've gotten around to making are stools. But I made the platform bed-and-pillow myself, last night, and will ultimately have the house furnished only with stuff I've made myself. I just have a lot to learn before I can do that. And I want to find, or learn to write, a script for the bed. Not a sex script, just a 'lounge' script.

And I want to find out if it's possible to script the spiral ramp so that an avatar that steps on it at either end, would 'slide' to the other end. It IS possible to walk it, but it takes a lot of patience. Of course most of us in Second Life tend to fly into buildings anyway (and landing on the second-floor is fairly easy). But a scripted slide up and down the ramp would be fun.

I will probably leave the Library potted plants in the roof garden. At the moment I'm not ambitious to learn how to make plants, and the Library ones are amazingly good-looking for the number of prims they 'cost'.

I did put a price on the house. Though I'm not ready to try to draw attention to my parcel yet (such as by buying a Classified ad, and by posting in the SL Forums), someone might happen by. The house is admittedly boxy (and I plan to put a separate shed on the back to make the profile more varied), but......a two-story house with all those features, taking up only about 12 by 11 meters, and costing only 9 prims.....it's not bad!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Low prim is a very big deal. Of course the ground rules in SL have changed over time, so if they got fancier servers, I guess the prim limitations might change.

but then again, maybe not.