Danascott Ride Complex

Monday, May 26, 2008

Frustrations and fun

I can see that learning to work with scripts is going to take a lot of time. I found one free Boat script, at the LSL Wiki site--and when I copied it into Word, so I could refer to it and make notes, it was 27 pages. Of course some of the code was for making the sails fill with air and the tiller move and so on--refinements that I'm not looking for, yet. But I'm not experienced enough to be able to abstract what I need to simply make a rezzed tub float across my pond.

I tried copy-pasting a script from the boat I got in a box of free vehicles, but that didn't work because I couldn't get my avatar to sit in the little wooden tub I'd made from a half-sphere---she kept sitting on the underside of it, embedded in the ground in sitting position. Very much like the characters in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

So I need to learn how to apply the "when left-clicked" "Sit on Object" option in such a way that an avatar will sit where I want it to sit.

A more frustrating problem was that I couldn't make a storage prim that would accept 'objects'. I could get it to accept anything that didn't have the little box icon---notecards went in just fine, as did items of clothing marked with clothing-icons, scripts, and landmarks. (I know they went in okay because I was able to see them in the list that opened up when I right-clicked on my storage prim and then clicked Open.)

I know that it IS possible to put items with the box icon into storage prims (which, I notice in my reading, are often called "Boxes"). I've received gift boxes which, when opened, clearly show such items in their Open list.

It's probably something very simple that I've overlooked, though I was systematic in trying a lot of things to make them go in. I tried all the not-clearly-wrong choices in the the When Left-Clicked box on the General tab, one at a time; I made sure I had plenty of prims available on my land; I tried dragging one of the box-icon-marked items into a storage prim first, so that I could rule out 'this box has been established as not being for this type of item' as being the problem.

Well, my books are no help on this---all they warn about is that entire folders can't be dragged into a storage prim. I need to look for an on-line tutorial that's specifically about storage prims, and/or find a forum in which I can ask my question about the box-icon-marked items.

It's important because my Newbie Clock is running down, and I want to acquire as much free stuff as I can. Of course, not all free stuff is reserved for Newbies, but some of it is. And who knows what I might find useful, later on when I'd have to pay for that particular item?

So I want to learn how to do this.

One related problem that intrigues me: I might have looked for an answer to this storage prim thing first at the official "forums.secondlife.com" site. But I still haven't found a way to access it. Apparently a lot of people have this problem, because the SL site has a whole list of things to try, for those who can't get access. I've tried logging on through Firefox (I normally use IE); no good. I certainly have been logged into SL, so that's not it. I wonder what the problem is? Maybe the forums aren't just a message board site on the Internet; maybe they have to be accessible from Inworld, too? And that's why it's so complicated?

Well, perhaps I'll find the answer in whatever forum I CAN log into. Guess I'll go looking, now. Gotta solve that storage prim problem!

No comments: